Low-Stress Handling Vet Visit
Making Veterinary Visits Less Stressful for Cats
Feline veterinary visits have declined in recent years. Why? Stress – for cats and their owners. The good news is that you don't have to sacrifice your cat's care by skipping out on regular veterinary visits because of stress.
During a typical low-stress handling veterinary visit, you will see our practice team using some of these techniques:
- Offering tasty treats to distract your pet and make them happy
- Providing comfortable, non-slip surfaces for your pet to stand on thus improving balance
- Encouraging pets with a happy voice, smile and treats – We never handle them roughly to get them on a table or into a cage
- We are considerate about your pet's comfort when holding them or performing procedures, such as nail trims, and we don't struggle with them.
- Creating a calming environment with pheromone diffusers and sprays
- Prescribing anti-anxiety and calming medications to give prior to their visit
- If your pet is showing excessive signs of fear, anxiety, or stress, the team may postpone the exam/procedure until a time when the pet is more relaxed - often sending home medication to give prior to the next visit.
- Sedating a patient for a scary or painful procedure.
We see the benefits of a kind and considerate approach to pets when they are happy to come visit us and become calmer patients.
Please call us at (703) 723-9940 for more information on the low-stress environment we provide cats.